Monday, November 06, 2006

Saddam Hussein: Death Sentence


As many have probably heard, Saddam Hussein was recently sentenced to death by an Iraqi court (which someone I know helped train). Saddam was obviously a criminal. He fed prisoners to lions and collected their shoes. He gased hundreds of innocent civilians based on ethnic backrounds, and invaded Kuwait in 1991. Saddam was the former dictator of the country Judeism was founded, but ran it as a tight Baathist dictatorship. The United States invaded Iraq in 2003 and the rest is history.
.
Noone disagrees that Saddam is a crook. Not even him! But here's the snag: the death penalty? Why? We captured him, took away all his dignity, imprisoned him and degraded him to nothing. We occupied his country and set up a new government. Why do we need to kill a man who has nothing left to offer? He has no means of regaining his former status. He has no hope of forgiveness, no chance of escape. What gives a court the right to murder an unarmed man? President Bush refered to the sentence as "a great achievement." If this is why we came into Iraq, I begin to doubt not only our intelligence, but our intentions. This was supposed to be Operation Iraqi Freedom. Why can't we be satisfied by a healthy life sentence?
.
And the means of murder seem barbaric as well. Saddam is sentenced to be hanged. Hanging is usually seen as a punishment of the past, a page out of Elizabethian England. Many readers may be surprised to know when the last legal hanging took place in the United States: 1996! It's about time to realize that the death penalty itself is a punishment of the past, a violation of John Locke's, Thomas Jefferson's, and even the United States's unalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nearly every religion preaches against it. (Iraq itself is the birthplace of Monotheism) People disconnect themselves from what's really going on, forget that these are all real people like themselves, people who long to be forgiven, people who face certain death. Readers, do me one small favor: put yourself in the noose. I'm sure you won't like how it feels.
.
'Then Peter came and said to him, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Until seven times?"
.
'Jesus said to him, "I don't tell you until seven times, but, until seventy times seven."'

11 comments:

Scanman said...

Amen.

Scanman said...

I suggest that you move your hit tracker near the top of the page like mine. Its easier to see.

John K. said...

I have to disagree with you a little bit... I mean, it's not the US government that sentenced him to death, it's the Iraqi government. If the Iraqi people want him dead, let them do it. It's not up to the United States. He was a dictator not to the United States, but to the Iraqi people. Seems like you blame a lot on the US, when it was Iraq that made the decision.

Scanman said...

I still support zero death penalty

Michard said...

W, YOU NEED TO READ MY POST. Tell me what you think, it also ties in with this.
-Michard

Michard said...

By the way, I knew the last legal hanging was in 1996.
-Michard

Bobby M said...

Chambers you are a Republican. Just admit it. There's nothing wrong with that. I agree with some republican beliefs, but you just go all out. Yet you still deny it. Come out of the political closet.

I agree with this post 100 percent. The death penalty is wrong. Execution will merely put Sadam out of his misery. Lock him up until he breaths his last breath, many years from now. That will give him plenty of time to mentaly torture himself about how shitty his life became.

Alex originally said he would get a free sadam shirt, but I suggested the slogan "save sadam." That better suits our opinion. Alex also claims that no killing occured in Iraq until the US got there. HAH! The first half of this post proves him wrong.

Michard said...

Wow, Lee. Good points. By the way, we should skip class more, it was sweet.
-Michard

ItalianStallion said...

L... ARRRGGGHHH! You're a good guy, but for so many reasons, die. Just to point out one sentence of 100% BS: "I agree with this post 100 percent. The death penalty is wrong. Execution will merely put Sadam out of his misery."
Can I just say that that was VERY ballsey. I'm going to assume that you didn't read the same post as I did. Granted, I didn't read all of it, but nuntheless, you're wrong. Let me cut down your quote a little bit, "I agree with this post 100[%]"... "Execution will merely put Saddam out of his misery." WOW! First off, the post was all about how the death penalty is wrong and that it's too extreme. Then here comes big L explaining that he agrees 100%, except for the 100% in which he begs to differ. What I'm getting at is the post is all about death penalty being extreme, and you saying you agree, BUT only because it's too light of a punishment. Excuse me if I don't make any sense, I'm just trying to stay true to your post.

After I read just that part, I actually became violently ill, and dropkicked my dog in the throat. That's how pissed off I was. I'm not against hipocrisy, but I am when you deny it and try to pull of the smart card. Please for the good of the world disable your browser and format your hard-drive. Hold on this is where I'm reading the rest of your post. OK it's been read. I don't give a shit. And for the record I'm neither republican or democratic. I'm for the Regressive Party:
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=regressive

I love the fuck vampires at the end cause that exact preson was once your icon and shit.

I'm pro death: of Liam

I'M IAN V BITCH!

ItalianStallion said...

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=regressive

the full link seemed not to have posted so here you go all you hipocritical bastards

I hope you rot in hell

ItalianStallion said...

Also for the record


THE DEATH PENALTY IS RIGHT!
PERIOD!

Infact, the DP hasnt really reached our advanced technology yet has it? Why hang when we can catapult!